In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

U.S. Festival

Many of you know that I had plans for the "tri-fecta"(tri-festa?) this year: I wanted to go to the U.S. Festival at our National Temple in New York and to UK Spring and Summer Festivals to see Geshe-la teach for the last time. (Strictly speaking, a tri-fecta means "selecting the first three finishers of a race in the correct order," but according to Webster's it can also mean a triple - for example, a "show-business trifecta : a platinum record, hit TV series, and an Oscar." The word reminds me of New Jersey, where I grew up.)
Even after surgery, I was considering going to US Fest and then visiting my family - my Dad and his wife, Marilyn; my brother, sister-in-law and 2 nephews; and possibly even my sister, who I was hoping would fly up from Florida.
Richard was concerned and insisted he accompany me if I still planned to go. But then my Dad called to pass along warnings he'd gotten from friends about the danger of traveling so soon after surgery, and my family in Seattle took a vote: We did a show of "hands" and the total was 6 against, 0 for, with 2 undecided. Sara the Dog ("SaraD") cast 4 votes, Richard 2. As much as I wanted to go, I feel content about having to stay at home - blessings strike again.
I rejoice at the good fortune of everyone who gets to attend. Enjoy being at the Temple, visiting with Sangha friends old & new, and listening to the teachings - by Gen-la Khyenrab, Gen-la Dekyong, Gen Samten, AND Kadam Morten.
Cecilia, please take good notes!
If you have any chance to go to a Kadampa Festival this year, even if it's only for a few days of Summer Festival, please go.

1 comment:

  1. Correction, from my sister, titled "I don't hate to travel"
    ... I just hate being in cold climates, being squooshed in a miniature seat on a commercial plane, being in an airport, suffering with the luggage handling and not having anyone to protect us during our journey. I dream of flying on a private jet with Natasha sitting on my lap on the plane's sofa going to warm destinations like Southern Europe, Hawaii, California wine country, etc... I even dream of seeing the Grand Canyon, via helicopter of course."
    My apologies for the misrepresentation.

    ReplyDelete