In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Port Installed

Yesterday I had a "port-a-cath" ("port-a-catheter") installed in my upper chest, in an outpatient procedure, under local anesthesia.
The NCI description is pithy: It's "an implanted device through which blood may be withdrawn and drugs may be infused without repeated needle sticks." My Mom had one when she was undergoing treatment for pancreatic cancer, and she found it helpful. The phlebotomists will doubtless appreciate it, too, because I'm one of those people who has small veins that aren't easy to find, and they'll be drawing blood every couple of weeks, before each chemo session. Some of my chemo drugs will be given via that port; others will be given through a port in my abdomen that hasn't been installed yet.
The port reminds me of the Multi-Pur water filters we have in the Temple kitchen and gompa sink in Seattle, except that the line is much thinner and goes into my vein - the size of the head is about the same. Here's a photo, courtesy of tirgan.com:











Is the port part of my body? What is my body now? Hmmm ...
I'd be confused if I didn't know that my body is only a concept, a label, an imputation. If only I had a direct realization of its emptiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment