In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Monday, April 27, 2009

Medicine Nectar

This afternoon I get my first IV infusion of medicine nectar, which has the conventional appearance of chemo. May it remove any lingering microscopic cancer so that I can have more time to purify my negativity, make more spiritual progress and be of more benefit to others.
I'm getting this IV treatment in my oncologist's office, sitting in a chair with a few other patients in a long room with a view of downtown.
Today I'll also get a more detailed schedule of treatments.

Side Effects
There are all kinds of possible side effects but the most likely are hair loss, nausea and fatigue.

The Nitty Gritty
If you're interested basic info about chemo, see What Is Chemo at Chemocare.com
The 2 chemo drugs I'm getting today are Taxol, which is "made from the bark of the Pacific Yew tree (taxus)" and Carboplatin. In subsequent treatments I'll also get Cisplatin, which is a cousin of "Carbo"; both are classified as metal salt alkylating agents.

Will try to write more later, but right now I've got to get ready ...

No comments:

Post a Comment