In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Dharma Cures

This is what I most want you to know: Dharma cures.
Many of you have heard me say that my recent experience being diagnosed with cancer - just last Friday! - proves to me again that Dharma works. I don't have time now to list all the ways it has "come in handy" - meaning it has been more precious than I can describe - but here's just one little example: I'm lying on the table getting my ultrasound, watching while the tech scan various areas and not really knowing what to make of the pictures on the monitor. After a while I ask her what she's seeing. She indicates an area and says, "This isn't supposed to be here." I think "karma" and instantly feel better. [If I have time in the coming days, I'll try to describe a bit more about that.]
I go for refuge inside, to my heart, where my Guru is and feel comforted - like it's raining outside, but inside I am warm and dry, and I know everything is going to be all right.

Dharma comforts, Dharma heals, Dharma protects ... Dharma cures.
It alone has the power to permanently and forever cure us of everything that ails us.

2 comments:

  1. Dearest Mimi,

    I'm thinking of you.

    I'll keep up with you through this blog. And please let me know if there is anything I can do to help at any point.

    Lots of love,
    Lucy xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mimi...
    ...One of the difficulties about diagnosis and treatment, as you full well know, is the amount of information, friendly advice, similar stories, etc. that you're presented with. You can log this in the 'friendly advice' area and ignore it as necessary. Heh. My friend Ree, who has been successfully treated for stomach cancer, consulted with a well known naturopath in California by phone who is a noted expert in cancer. He is quite knowledgable regarding diet and chinese herbal supplements to be tailored with your treatment. If you ever have the wish to contact him, his information is below. Of course you remain in my heart, Mimi...

    michael broffman
    pine street clinic
    124 pine street
    san anselmo, ca
    94960

    phone: 415-485-0484
    fax: 415-485-1065

    ReplyDelete