In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Monday, January 24, 2011

Off the Canvas

Yesterday I may have said I was "down for the count," but apparently the count just went to 3 : )
I took an Ambien and went to bed early. Slept really well, woke up early; made oatmeal with steel-cut oats; read a page of Mahamudra Tantra with breakfast; took my meds; walked the dog to Green Lake listening to Geshe-la's Je Tsongkhapa Empowerment in Brazil; while drinking my Chinese medicinal tea, did reception at the Temple starting at 9am, until Noreen gave me a break so that I could run to get a bagel with cream cheese and a piece of squash bread, took a rest in Carmen's room; with about 15 people - many from lunchtime meditation - ate the delicious Mediterranean lunch at the Temple ('zarah' style cauliflower with sesame sauce, Middle Eastern spicy carrot spread, babaganoush eggplant spread, rice pilaf, 2 kinds of hummus, fresh veggies for dipping, pita bread, gluten-free rice crackers as alternative pita, green salad); got radiation; saw my radiation doc, talked about antioxidants in my diet; went home for a rest; took more meds; walked the dog around the block; rested in bed; at dinner at Bizarro with Sally. Home again.
Didn't mean to scare you about the canvas or the count.

No comments:

Post a Comment