In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Monday, January 17, 2011

Eating, Eating, Eating

This is one of those daily-life, nuts & bolts posts that can give blogs and Facebook and Twitter a bad name. But in case anyone is wants a little window in my life with cancer, here's a current view of my diet.
You may have heard that it can be hard to eat when you're on chemo - foods don't appeal, even drinks taste funny, nausea and vomiting threaten. That's all true. I experienced a bit of those in the past, and probably will again in the future.
Right now, though, I am eating like a football player - big meals, several times a day!
It's the Decadron steroid, which keeps the swelling down in my head. It also makes me ravenous, bossy, and insomniac.


Saturday 
Breakfast - I had homemade colcannon (Irish potato, cabbage & cheese) that Richard made, along with a hard-boiled egg. He boiled up a bunch to have on hand - easy for me to grab some protein, especially in the morning. (I hope my acupuncturist is reading this. She recommended getting a lot of protein first thing, and we have rice protein powder supplement on hand at her recommendation. It's good for adding to oatmeal and drinks.)

Second Breakfast (as they say in Hobbitland) - Because I should take the Decadron with food, I had a bowl of Richard's homemade apple crisp (Granny Smith apples his sister Susie had brought us, with oats and walnuts and not much sugar or anything else).

Lunch - vegetarian Thai buffet in the University District with Richard and his niece Maggy, who started at the UW in the Fall. We got to see her new dorm room, too. As Richard said, it has the best views of Seattle of anyone we know: Lake Washington, Mt Rainer, the Space Needle!

Snack - On the way out of Maggy's dorm, we got to see the cafe downstairs where Maggy works part-time, and I caught a whiff of pizza, so I got a Pagliacci cheese slice to go. (Remember this is not too long after a buffet lunch!)

Dinner - Dachog and Cecilia T (visiting all the way from New Mexico!) had dropped off vegetarian sushi and olive hummos with pita crisps.

Now it looks like we could be spending more on food than on medical bills!

So many people have already offered to bring us food. It's so wonderful! I wish everyone had this kind of support. It's not really the food, you know.

We have so many people bringing food, I thought I might need to reign you in, but apparently not while I'm on Decadron. Richard is literally shopping for a larger fridge.

Even his brother John, who lives in Florida, seriously offered to fly out next weekend and make a big batch of minestrone! John is Maggy (and Lizzy's) Dad, Vicki's Husband, with a demanding full-time job. He's already  visited twice in the past several months. We got to tell him how many local people were feeding us.


There's lots of info about eating better during chemo.

For reference, we also have a copy of The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen, which you are welcome to borrow. It's visually very appealing.

No comments:

Post a Comment