In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Changing Attachments - Drinks

My most obvious attachment has long been black tea with milk. I looked forward to a nice cup when I got out of bed in the morning, and a nice cup in the afternoon. I used to drink 3-4 cups but have cut back, partly at the suggestion of my acupuncturist and other health experts. I'll substitute a green tea for one of those cups. I take the Chinese herbal (medicinal) tea that my acupuncturist prescribes - which typically don't taste that bad - as another serving of tea or two.
As you may have heard, chemo tends to change your taste buds. Now black tea doesn't appeal very much. The tea and milk are exactly the same, but the experience is different.

I used to think about it: What is it about the tea brings me happiness? Years ago I remember Karl in our TTP Buddhism class talk about analyzing what your attachments represent for you. For me, tea with milk is comfort. Not only that, but if you have a problem, it seems to promise to make it better!
For other attachments, money represents security. Approval from others represents love. [There's a whole essay here I could write but don't have time for. Hope you can follow this "draft."]
I feel quite at home when I visit England, because English society knows this curative ability of tea : )

But you look at it: Hot water, with some flavoring? How could it possibly do that? Solve my problems? Not for very long, anyway.

As a Buddhist, you try to be mindful of what you're doing. While you're drinking, you may enjoy the first few sips, then you might lose your attention. You may not even finish it all, or it's a bit of a duty - just to get rid of the liquid. You even let it get cold, and simply swallow what's left as you're taking the cup to be washed. Or  it's really nice and you are paying attention, you're already anticipating another cup while you're enjoying the cup right in hand! We are funny creatures.

So our Buddhist practice is transforming our daily practices into the spiritual path. We don't give up drinking tea, but we don't believe it can help in a way it won't. If we'd like a cup of tea, and there's no tea, it's OK.

I love the Tantric practice of offering everything we drink (and eat) to the Buddhas at our heart. I try to do that often, and get reinforcement because we just studied Guide to Dakini Land, we're now on Mahamudra Tantra, and January is Heruka and Vajrayogini month. Sangha help remind me of the practice when I get forgetful. Sangha! Where would we be without them?

But cancer is also very good for renunciation, so I tend to think of what I drink and eat as fuel for my "ambulance" (my body as a vehicle to help others, but it needs to be taken care of). When you're on chemo - or radiation - you have to pay attention to your diet. Everyone should drink lots of pure water, but especially people on chemo, to  help flush out the toxins. Usually I have no problem drinking water, but now it doesn't taste that great. I often drink because I should, not because I really want to. I like a splash of juice - at the moment I really like a splash of an organic berry mix in the water. When I get tired of that, a splash of lemonade is next.

Food will be like that too. Even if you're not having nausea or vomiting, the chemo usually does something to your appetite - you just don't feel like eating, just at a time you need your body to have lots of protein and other healthy foods so that it can handle the drugs. When my Mom had cancer, my Dad tried so hard to find food that she would eat. She'd finally say OK to something, and then couldn't eat it when it arrived 20 minutes later. It can be really hard for your caregiver.
If you've been following this blog, you saw that at the moment, that isn't a problem, because I'm taking the steroid drug Decadron, but don't be surprised if I write about food at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment