In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Like predicting the weather

Cancer patients talk about prognosis and statistics and how much to pay attention to them. It occurs to me it's like predicting the weather - I like knowing what's forecast, even though it's often wrong. At least I can be prepared. 
In the US Pacific Northwest the weather is very changeable. I almost always have a jacket with me, just in case there's rain. We like to say, "If you don't like the current conditions, just wait 5 minutes" (ha ha!).
I understand that meteorologists - and doctors - are doing their best, and that they say there are so many different factors that can dramatically change things.

For example, this country has had some crazy unexpected weather this winter: Snow in places that rarely get snow. Really bad snow in places that regularly do get snow. That's not even including the terrible fires in Russia and Israel, flooding in Europe, and all the other weather-related disasters. You hear about hurricanes headed for cities that end out far off at sea.
In my area this week, experts thought we might be getting a bad storm. We did get some snow, but it quickly turned to rain and melted away.

Of course, we'd all like our lives to be full of pleasant sunny days, but if we have to experience bad weather, may it quickly melt away.

The other part of this analogy I'd like to mention is handling it. There are places that plan for, say, snow, and it's not a big deal when they get a lot of it. 
Also if you can accept that you're stuck at home, you can be warm and comfy and rested - accepting fatigue might be like that too. Sometimes you have to give in.
I know how to go deep inside, with my Guru, where I am safe no matter what happens. I can feel blessings pouring down, holding me up, so that I am not worried.
One of my favorite stories is about the Catholic priest Mychal Judge who died in the Twin Towers on 9/11. He was known for saying, "If you want to make God laugh, tell him what you're doing tomorrow." We can make plans, but hold them loosely. We're not really in control, although we like to play driver when we can.

I'd like to think my spiritual and mental preparations, along with my great medical team, will help me be to take care of the snow if it does fall. I have a "Girl Scout" mentality - I like to be prepared (lots of info, living will, priorities in order, etc., of course, and definitely Buddha, Dharma and Sangha).

No comments:

Post a Comment