In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Friday, May 1, 2009

Visit to the Naturopath

Feeling good today - I'm filling in on Reception at the Temple this morning. Until some visitors show up, I have time to update this blog.

Yesterday I went to see the naturopath recommended by my oncologist. He prescribed a 30-minute walk every day, even when I'm completely exhausted by chemo. Let me know if you'd like to go walking (email me at mimi.wagamama@gmail.com or call me). I live a couple of blocks from Green Lake but would be happy to walk other places when I'm feeling good. Mornings I tend to have more energy.

Dr. Geniac also recommended ...
* lots of fluids, especially during the IP chemo treatments, to protect my kidneys
* lots of protein, to help my body repair itself from chemo damage
* vitamin D - he thinks everyone in the NW is deficient; I'm also going to have my level checked the next time I get bloodwork done
* vitamin E, to help protect against effects of chemo
* general multivitamin, without iron - he likes powdered vitamins in gelatin capusules because they dissolve more easily
* green-tea extract
* melatonin - he puts everyone on melatonin and says studies show a better survival rate
* glutamine powder, to prevent neuropathy from the Taxol - need to learn more about this
* the book The China Study by T. Colin Campbell
* vegetarian diet
* meditation : )

I'll be learning more about all of these as time goes by.

A big "thank you" to Marie for driving me to Renton, entertaining me with stories during the long wait, asking smart questions, and taking detailed notes.

No comments:

Post a Comment