In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

The Princess in the Web of Kindness

As many of you know, I’ve become quite the princess, letting people wait on me hand and foot. So much kindness.
Richard was quite concerned about this trip, and knowing that so many people were taking care of me helped allay his concerns - so your kindness extends to him as well.
I’m now back in Seattle and very much looking forward to this weekend’s Post Spring Festival Retreat with Gen-la Dekyong.

I’d like to thank everyone who made prayers for a safe journey so that I could see my Guru in person, receive the empowerment of Buddha Maitreya (the Buddha of loving-kindness), absorb buckets of blessings, and enjoy many meaningful conversations with Sangha.

For their help and company during the trips there and back and at Manjushri, I’d also like to thank …
* Jamie from Olympia and Eve & Michael - on the flights from Seattle to Manchester
* Jody and Rebecca - at Bewleys Hotel, on the train (Rebecca’s an excellent luggage Sherpa), and at Manjushri sharing their room and keeping watch over me at sessions
* Susan Payne - a longtime practitioner and nurse who does outreach work with the homeless in Yakima – I think Richard was relieved to hear I was staying with an RN – my B&B roommate in town and walking and dinner companion; I hope more of you get to know her
* Lekmo (formerly Carol Brown) - I probably used her bed at Manjushri more than she did; being able to rest there allowed me to spend much more time at Festival than would have been possible otherwise
* Bonye and Claire from Portland – Ulverston taxi arrangers and companions for Susan and me
* Chondzin of KMC NY - lunch forager and companion
* Neal from Albuquerque - who was very enthusiastic about this cancer journey
* Ruth of Tara Centre in England, their longtime Treasurer, who appeared exactly when I needed a ride into town
* Gen Demo, Gen Chőma and Gen Lingpur – who shared their door-to-door ride from Manjushri to Bewleys, saving me various troubles of the crowded Bank Holiday train and, more importantly, giving me a chance to hear Lingpur’s own inspiring story
* Jindak, Jamie and Lekmo – who made sure I got to the airport for our 6am flight, held numerous places in line for me, and provided me with a comfortable sleeping pad when our flight from Amsterdam was delayed about 4 hours, among other kindnessess
* Festival organizers – who made everything run so smoothly for the 3,400 or so of us who had the excellent good fortune to attend
* The many others too numerous to mention, including all the sentient beings who give us the opportunity to practice compassion, without which we would never be able to free ourselves from our own suffering and finally attain enlightenment
* And most especially to Venerable Geshe-la, who is the kindest of all. One day I hope to be able to begin to repay some of it.

1 comment:

  1. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of hpv as soon as i feel the symptoms of hpv is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr onokun for natural treatment it works wonders, amazingly ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these horrible disease anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this horrible disease. every hpv or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr to get ride of these disease forever his email address;
    dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete