In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Friday, May 29, 2009

Protector Cells

In playing around with other posts, I neglected to give you an update on my treatment. I didn't get my scheduled chemo on Wednesday morning because my white blood counts were too low (my red blood counts were also a bit low, but not so low as to get in the way of chemo). Before every chemo treatment, they do blood tests ... and I didn't pass. Instead, they gave me a shot to boost production of my white cells, which as you probably know are like Dharma Protectors for the body, in that their job is to fight off infections (obstacles).

This website has a nice series of short pieces on Understanding Low White Blood Cell Counts. For more scientific detail, this Wikipedia entry on white blood cells has a nice chart with diagrams and b&w photo of blood.
In case you're interested, the shot was "CSF" (colony stimulating factor), often know by its brand name, Neupogen (which is pronounced like "Noop uh jen"); yesterday I got another shot of the same thing. It's usually very effective and works pretty quickly.

I was very surprised that my counts were low because I've been feeling so good; on the other hand, it's quite common for chemo drugs to lower blood counts, and the Cisplatin medicine nectar (chemo) I got last Tuesday is known for being especially good at it.
I was ordered to rest - but also to keep walking 30 minutes every day - and to avoid people and to eat only cooked food, so as to avoid infection.
If I pass the test later this morning, as I expect to, I'll get 4 hours of Taxol via my abdominal (IP) port.

No matter what happens with my chemo, I'll be at tonight's introduction to the Post Spring Festival Retreat at KMC Washington.

1 comment:

  1. I found out, that taking herbal treatment is the best to get rid of hpv as soon as i feel the symptoms of hpv is appearing, i took the healing process by contacting Dr onokun for natural treatment it works wonders, amazingly ever since I had the herbal treatment i have not feel these horrible disease anymore and my doc told me the virus is gone, i am glad i finally got cured out from this horrible disease. every hpv or herpes patients should also get in touch with this herbalist Dr to get ride of these disease forever his email address;
    dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete