In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Friday, May 8, 2009

Doctor Visit

We just got back from a routine visit to my surgeon/oncologist Dr. Drescher. I got my nadir (which the nurse pronounced like "Nader" as in Ralph) bloodwork taken, to see how my blood counts are doing at the low point after the first chemo. Given how well I feel, I expect them to be fine.
Drescher explained the procedure he'll use to insert the intraperitoneal port next Thurs. It's outpatient laparoscopic surgery, under general anesthesia. He'll insert a scope on the left side of my abdomen to see what's where, and then insert the IP port and catheter on the right side of my abdomen.
On the 18th when they give me the IP chemo, they'll even turn my body in various ways to make sure the chemo is dispersed throughout my abdomen!
I was very encouraged to hear Drescher say that I should continue to do well with subsequent chemos, based on how I did after the first one. I thought the IP chemo could be rough, but he explained that they'd adjusted the dosage and improved the anti-emetic drugs, so it was likely that I'd feel about the same as from chemo #1 - especially given that I was still recovering from surgery then.
He also looked over the recommendations from the naturopath and said they were fine.
I may even be able to go to Spring Festival!
For me, this is all more evidence that prayers work. I am so grateful to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment