In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Like a Snow Day

Just a quick health update: Yesterday I was scheduled for chemo, but my oncologist recommended skipping it because he's concerned about my hearing loss - he wants me to get my hearing test first, and the earliest I could schedule is Feb 13. Because I scored so well on my last test (the blood test that measures my tumor marker), there was no great need for chemo this week. Next week is a regularly scheduled break from chemo. So I got a day off - like the snow days we experienced last month in Seattle, it's not a bad thing.
I am confident that my hearing will get better now that I am off the Cisplatin chemo, but appreciate my doctor's concern. He said there is a risk of irreparable loss and that even the Taxol chemo can cause some damage to the auditory nerve - although it's less famous for that than the Cis.
When I mentioned this latest development to my classmate DebV, she recommended I learn sign language, which I think it a great idea no matter what happens. Deb taught me how to say, "thank you."
http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-signs/t/thankyou.htm
Imagine that I am saying this to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment