In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Raising the Floor

I know that it's normal for my meditation practice to have ups and downs. Hopefully the overall trajectory is upward.
Sometimes I think I need  to focus more on raising the floor of my formal practice and not worrying about raising the roof: On the days when my mind is at its worst - in  a rut, in a ditch, in the basement - I will still do x, y and z. It feels as though if I can do that, the roof will go up by itself, and I will make progress.
Gen Khedrub uses the term "non-negotiable," which I find very helpful.
Gen-la Dekyong joked in Vancouver that we get inspired when we go to Celebrations and Festivals and renew our commitment to ourself to practice, no matter what. Then a lot of "what" happens, and our practice nose-dives ... again.

Commitments help. Because we don't generally like that word, we're told that commitments are not like heavy baggage. I think of them like guardrails, keeping me on track. I make them when I'm in my right mind so that when I'm in my wrong mind, they prevent me from ending up in a ditch or worse.

Signing up to be responsible for a puja is one way to make sure you go. I remember having to commit to being at Quick Path once a week, because invariably when 6am arrived, my self-cherishing would convince me it would be much nicer to stay in bed. Joining Foundation Program or Teacher Training Program, with their attendance requirements, have a similar effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment