In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Monday, January 30, 2012

Tsog? Saag!

Just a funny little story about misunderstanding ...
I was at the Temple, having finished my reception shift and having helped Dachog prepare tsog offerings for that evenings' Wishfulfilling Jewel puja. I was planning to pick up Indian food on the way home, so I was on the phone with Richard to find out what he wanted.
When he said "saag", I said "tsog?" They really do sound similar, even to someone with decent hearing.
If he had ordered his usual, saag paneer, I think I would have gotten it, but he wanted saag korma.
If I hadn't just prepared tsog offerings, I probably would have understood.
Context is everything.
At home they call me "Miss Communication" (or is that miscommunication?).

I used to be an editor, and my Dad used to claim I couldn't be a communications professional because I was so bad at communicating - which to him meant I didn't phone him often enough.

Sometimes when I make a mistake, I console myself that I'm mistaken about literally everything - in the sense of the true nature of reality - so what's one more mistake?

2 comments:

  1. Ha ha...that was funny...sorry about my English.. probably i would have understood the same...by the way...what is a "saag panner" ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, a typo. It should be "saag paneer," which I've now fixed - spinach with Indian cheese.

    ReplyDelete