In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Tumor Marker Down

Yesterday I got the results of my "CA-125" blood test, which is a marker for how much ovarian cancer I have in my system. 
It's down to 43.7, from 61. It's still above normal (20 or less), but much lower than when I was diagnosed (it was in the 900s), and I've read of many women with ovarian cancer whose number is in the thousands.
This is good news!

Later today I see my medical oncologist, Dr. Kaplan, who is going to coordinate all my care. My ovarian oncologist, Dr. Drescher, is both a surgeon and an oncologist. Now that I've had a brain tumor, and need some targeted radiation to the brain, I need someone more to help figure out all my treatment - not just chemo, but also radiation.

Dr. Drescher probably saved my life by sending me for a CT scan of my head, based on my report of a mild headache. I'm told it would not have been good if I had gotten on a plane with a tumor in my head, which I was scheduled to do Oct 16th. Drescher is the best ovarian surgeon in Seattle, and getting the best surgery is very important for treating ovarian. I am immensely grateful to him. 

When I was initially diagnosed with ovarian last year, my "regular" (PCP) doctor, sent me to Dr. Drescher, saying that he was the only doctor to see, even if I had to wait a bit, and that she would go to him herself. As it was, my PCP pulled some strings so that I could see him right away.

Dr. Kaplan called his friend, my neurosurgeon Dr. Foltz, so that I could get operated on in 2 days - which made it possible for me to go to Brazil. "Dr. K" is also my friend Uma's oncologist for a different cancer (Uma's also an MD). He is a great doctor, and very easy to get hold of too, via phone or email.



I believe all these doctors - as well as nurses and other "caregivers" - are emanations, and I believe that your prayers helped them appear for me. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment