In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Saturday, November 13, 2010

"It's Not About the Bike" (It's About the Name?)

Several weeks ago I read Lance Armstrong's inspiring book about cancer called "It's Not About the Bike." Mostly I was impressed with his determination, not just to get well from advanced cancer, but even to ride competitively again. He's done a lot for cancer patients, cancer research and cancer awareness.

And yet, I couldn't help noticing the advantages of celebrity: Because of his famous name, doctors would see him immediately, even on weekends.
When I was calling doctor's offices and not getting appointments, I would remember that old joke:
You're at the front desk of a hotel that says there aren't any available rooms.
So you ask, "If the President came, would there be a room for him?"
The desk clerk says, "Yes, we'd find him a very nice room."
And you say, "Great, I'll take his room!" Ha ha.

I never said this - but was very tempted - to ask those doctors' schedulers who claimed there were no slots available:
"If Lance  Armstrong needed an appointment tomorrow, would you put him on the calendar?"
Based on his book and common sense, I imagine them saying, "Yes, of course."
So I say, "Great, give me his slot!" Ha ha.

In Buddhism, one of the ways we talk about reality is that it is "mere name," meaning that things exist through naming, through labeling by the mind. (If this is new to you, read Modern Buddhism by Geshe Kelsang Gyatso, which has the clearest explanation of emptiness - or ultimate truth - that I have ever heard.)

Some of our names are more mere than others. (I'm not a "big name.")

P.S. My Skype name contains "Mere" (pronounced by non-Buddhists like "Merry).

No comments:

Post a Comment