In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Final Cocoon: Dying at Home

From the NY Times, a story about people dying at home, the importance of smells, art, control, and hospice care.
For those of you who work with art supplies, please note that one man profiled died of liver disease he attributes to chemicals he used on his artwork.
I especially like this part:
"She said to me, ‘I’m dying.’ I said, ‘Yes.’ She said, ‘How long can you stay?’ I said, ‘Deb, I’m staying till the fat lady sings, and she’s only humming now."

I hope reading this piece aids your death meditation, helping it sink in and contemplating your own death and dying, and for generating compassion.

Tomorrow in Seattle we have our monthly powa and will dedicate for everyone who died in the last month, including Eliott, the young Kadampa who recently died in the waters of Brazil.

Note also this article describes a man whose body stayed at rest in his house for 3 days, which is a very Buddhist way to pass. It's something I need to look into for Seattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment