In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Big Sandwich This Week

Tomorrow, in addition to radiation, and in addition to the Taxol chemo I get 3 weeks out of 4, I will get the more heavy-duty chemo Cisplatin. They say it's a lot to bite off, but my body seems to digest it pretty well.

The first time I had this combo, my doctor recommended I have it in the hospital, so that they could monitor me and give me IV fluids - it's important to stay hydrated, because one of the side-effects of the "Cis" can be kidney damage.

Because I tolerated the chemo, I'll have it as an out-patient, like my other chemos, only I'll be at the infusion center all day, staring at 8:30 am. I'll be drinking a lot.
Given the Decadron steroid, which makes people ravenous, I will probably be eating a lot too. Note to self: Pack lots of food.

I also always pack my mala, a small Medicine Buddha statue, and a Dharma book. I bring my laptop and usually a New Yorker magazine. I bring plenty to keep myself occupied.

After they've hooked up my port-a-cath to the IV, they give me saline, then "pre-meds," which are a few different drugs to prevent nausea and vomitting - one of which, Emend, is very expensive - thank goodness for good insurance, and for karma to have those drugs work for me; they don't work for some.
Other pre-meds help prevent reactions to the chemo drugs. I think that's what the Benadryl is supposed to do; what it *actually* does is put me to sleep.

So I bring all these things, thinking I will get a chance to read, and then I immediately fall asleep. Plane rides can be like that too: You bring material to read, work or study, but if you're like me, you barely make a dent in them a lot of the time.

I will probably be fatigued after a few days - there's a bit of a time-lag - and it will last a week or so.

1 comment: