In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

My Pod of Refuge

Some of you who haven't seen me in person may be skeptical that I'm doing so well.
I say, "it's true!" And all because of my refuge in Buddhism, which means I seek help from Buddha; Buddha's teachings, Dharma; and my Buddhist community, Sangha.

Any adversity is a good chance to really test out the teachings, and for me everything I've learned is true. They work. Every different method I've learned protects me from suffering. For example, when you have a bit of suffering, you think about others and how many are much worse off than you are, especially when they have no faith in any spiritual path - Christian, Muslim, Hindu or whatever it is - and that gives me protection, because it evokes compassion. In Buddhism, focusing too much on yourself and too little on others is what causes our suffering in the first place.

So I feel safe deep inside. This is the part where it gets more impressionistic or poetic or something ...
Lately I feel like I can go into my heart, and my refuge feels like a like a mini white egg-shaped pod. I think I'm picturing something like that futurist individual transport from the old Woody Allen movie Sleeper, where he's in a one-person car that doesn't touch the ground. I could be mis-remembering it and mixing it with something from one of the Star Wars movies, where they're riding those ATV-like machines through the woods that don't touch the ground. Or maybe I'm combining with the white, egg-shaped Orgasmatron from Sleeper. (Think bliss!)

Actually, the top half of my pod is white and the bottom half is red : ) (We're studying Mahamudra Tantra in class now, which describes the indestructible drop at your heart this way.)

Richard pointed out that my pod would have headlights of 5 colors : )

No comments:

Post a Comment