In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Pray for Malaya

Please pray for Malaya, a nun at KMC New Mexico in Albuquerque, who is close to dying from ovarian cancer. (You may know her as "Nan," which was her lay name until she ordained a couple of years ago.) She was the long-time caregiver for her elderly mother, who died last week. Please also pray for Malaya's sister.
Malaya was diagnosed a month after me, which made me feel even closer to her. I was looking forward to going on this cancer journey together and was hoping I'd be able to help in some small way. When Jody told me this news this morning, it hit me pretty hard. I should know better - because samsara is so harsh - but I wasn't expecting Malaya to go so fast.
I'm off to Wishfulfilling Jewel - where we'll dedicate for Malaya, her mother and her sister - so I have to run, but I wanted to get this request out before I went.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Mimi, I was wondering if you'd had any more thoughts about writing an article for Kadampa Life? It'd be great to share you on there. Luna K.

    ReplyDelete