In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Transfused

Thursday I got about 2 pints of "red drops" and am now getting some energy back (they warned me it would take about 24 hours before I really started feeling better).
The nurses were very careful administering the blood, even more so than with the chemo. It's a similar setup, essentially a plastic bag hanging from a pole, driven by a pump, into my port, but the blood went through an additional filter. With each new bag, they would take my vital signs (including listening to my lungs and taking my temperature and blood pressure) every 15 minutes as one way of making sure I was n't having an adverse reaction, even though the blood center had already run a bunch of tests and compatibility checks on my blood and theirs. The pump controls how fast the fluid flows, and at the beginning they ran it at a slow rate, only increasing it after they were confident I was tolerating this foreign substance.
Which is why it took 6 hours.
For chemo, they have a detailed process of having two people check the drug and the patient: With each chemo drug, they ask my name and birth date, and then the 2 nurses check the doctor's orders with the labels on the drugs. For the transfusion, I also had to spell my name for each bag of blood.
There was even what they called a "rinse cycle" of saline at the end.

By the way, when you get so many fluids pumped into your body, you have to unplug your pump and roll your pole down the hall to the restroom a few times. It's probably good to have a reason to go for a little stroll; when I'm not attached to this "infuser," it's usually my dog who prompts me to get out for a walk.

So the procedure went well and seems to be producing, temporarily, good results, but the trans-fusion I'd really like is to be transformed into a higher being through realizing the fusion of the 2 truths.

No comments:

Post a Comment