In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Taking and Giving Blood

Thursday I am going to get a blood transfusion to help alleviate my fatigue, which contributed to putting me in bed rather than attending Offering to the Spiritual Guide at the Temple on Sunday.
Today I traded a small vial of my blood, to be "typed and crossed" for the 2  "units" of blood that some kind beings have donated (it's not a set quantity, my phlebotomist explained, because it depends on the concentration of red cells in that particular batch). I send my deep gratitude to all you Bodhisattvas who have given your body in this way.

I had a transfusion before from low hematocrit on chemo, and I felt so much more energy afterward. I am hopeful that this will allow me to enjoy more of US Festival and my family visits next month. My oncologist offered it as a choice, which I gladly accepted. From my experience, I expect I would have gotten more and more fatigued without it.
You may be thinking that what I need is iron supplements, but that is actually not recommended in my case: All of my doctors have told me it's OK to have iron in foods but that supplements would interfere with my treatment (they've also said that if I did take supplements, they wouldn't improve my levels fast enough).
The procedure is considered quite safe - I think it may strike some of you as being more serious than it is. Here's a bit of info to reassure you, from the blood bank associated with my cancer treatment:
The risk of exposure to HIV is estimated to be approximately 1 in 2.5 million or less per unit. Since 1985, no patient has been reported to have contracted HIV from a transfusion provided by Puget Sound Blood Center. The risk of hepatitis C infection is estimated to be approximately 1 in 1 million or less per unit, and the risk of hepatitis B, approximately 1 in 750,000 or less per unit. Bacterial infection and other types of infection from a transfusion are possible, although also unlikely.
Very fine print: Your karma may vary : ) I'll make some prayers that obstacles be removed.

If only I had a stronger mind, I wouldn't identify so closely with my body, but I am happy to say that I'm working on it. When I'm fatigued, my mind feels more vulnerable. This is overly dramatic, I realize, but occasionally it feels like being assailed by soul-sucking Dementors, for those of you familiar with the Harry Potter series, and having to do the Buddhist equivalent of the Patronus charm with all the faith I can muster. (I am actually more of a Lord of the Rings fan - the journey that Frodo makes resonates with me spiritually - but I deeply enjoyed having Richard read both the Potter and Rings books to me at bedtime; he is wonderful at giving voice to all the different characters.)

My faith is my most precious possession, and over the years I have learned the importance of actively protecting it. For example, when my faith is strong, I can listen to someone with doubts about  Buddhism or the New Kadampa Tradition; I have compassion for them. Depending on where they are and what they're wishing for, I can try to help them. I feel my own faith getting stronger, like a workout at the gym.
The Dorje Shugden controversy really deepened my faith. I was very fortunate to be able to attend many of the demonstrations and to meet Tibetan practitioners who had directly experienced persecution. I also researched the issue, reading different points of view, and came to a greater appreciation and understanding of this precious lineage.

However, when I read non-Buddhists make sweeping generalizations about life that contradict what I know and believe, I put up my armor: I protect my heart. Materialists (people who deny there's any spiritual or transcendent dimension to life) seem to pop up when I'm reading book reviews - there are some popular books by atheists and scientists getting a lot of attention in the press. Sometimes writers don't even try to make an argument - they just make a statement as though everyone believes what they do. Mostly I just think it's nonsense. (One of the reasons Americans need Sangha is that Buddhists are swimming upstream in what's mostly a Judeo-Christian culture - there are so many embedded assumptions. But I will save that for another day.)

When my faith is shakier, I will stop myself from reading. If I'm with someone who is denouncing my Spiritual Guide, I will try to excuse myself or at least stop listening to them and listen instead to an inner dialogue, at the very least a mantra. I will "conjure up" (to use the Patronus metaphor) a love for Buddha, Dharma and Sangha - it is refuge in my heart. I go inward, to my heart, with my Guru.

No comments:

Post a Comment