In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Friday, May 6, 2011

Phantom Hair

Spring Is Hair ... or so I might think, with so many things growing, and even blooming - not that I want my head to burst into bloom - but I wouldn't mind small signs of hair growing on my head. All I have is the very shortest of stubble, which I've kept throughout my treatments.
It will take months for it to grow in, but will have to start sometime. C'mon, give me a sign!

On the other hand, you could say it's been a very irregular Spring here in Seattle, weather-wise. Some days have been sunny and warmish; others - like yesterday - have felt more like November.

I'll admit there are some advantages to my micro-short hair: As you can easily guess, taking a shower takes no time at all. When I packed for my recent trip East, I got to leave behind a brush, comb, shampoo and conditioner (I simply use a liquid soap on my head). Must save money too.

And yet, in the back of my mind, I still have hair - "phantom hair" I call it, thinking it's similar to a "phantom limb" (even though there's no physical arm or limb, there are still sensations there). If you're familiar with the teachings about the emptiness of the body, I find this phenomenon worth contemplating.

There's a story about a nun in our tradition who did a lot of hiking before she ordained and cut her long hair to nun-length. One time, after she had been a nun for many years, she went for a walk with her teacher. When they stopped for a break, she took off her hat and shook her head back and forth. He wondered what she was doing. Shaking out her long hair, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment