In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Lesser-Known Sources of Protein

This is simply an article about my diet, which I hope might be useful to some of you, but there's no Dharma in it, except in the sense of taking care of your body - the vehicle that can bring so much benefit to others - like an ambulance team takes care of an ambulance.

Because I am not eating beans (green, pinto, black, kidney, garbanzo), based on a food-sensitivity test my naturopath gave me, and trying not to eat too much soy, and I don't generally eat meat ... what do I do for protein?
I'll confess I've been eating wild Alaska salmon 1x/week at the suggestion of my naturopath, because it's considered anti-cancer. I have very mixed feelings about this. Every time, I thank the fish for giving up its body for me and generate bodhichitta, promising myself to use my body in the service of others.

* Chia seeds -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_hispanica
My naturopath just told me about these; he learned about them from a patient. They're associated with barefoot runners in Northern Mexico who are famed for their ability to run long distances.

* Lupin seeds
The NY Times had a recent article
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/17/business/energy-environment/soy-substitute-edges-its-way-into-european-meals.html?scp=1&sq=Lupin&st=cse
"Lupin seeds have been used as a high-protein food for over 3,000 years around the Mediterranean, and as for as long as 6,000 years in the Andean highlands of Latin America. ...
Lupin seed is also nutritionally superior to soy in several respects, according to some researchers. A comparative study of lupin seeds and soybeans published by the F.A.O. in 2003 found that lupin seeds had a higher protein content, at 35 percent to 40 percent, against soybeans’ 24 percent to 32 percent. ...."
They sell it at a place called the Vegetarian Butcher in the Netherlands, among other places.
I haven't tried them yet - just thought this was interesting.

* Quorn - mycoprotein (fungi family, which includes mushrooms and truffles) - comes as burgers, roasts and nuggets. It's what we had for Thanksgiving. Good in stir fry and many other dishes. I like the taste and the "mouth feel." Some people say it bothers their stomach.
http://www.quorn.us/About-Us/

* Field Roast - a grain meat that comes as deli meat, sausages, and loaves
http://www.fieldroast.com/products
Made in Seattle : )

* Quinoa - I have a favorite recipe that has mandarin oranges, raisins, oil, nuts, scallions; it's good on fresh spinach.


* Almond "yogurt" (for smoothies) and almond milk (for cereal). Today I'm going to try almond-based cheese, Swiss style, on the vegetarian reuben sandwiches R makes at the Temple - they are so good.

* Coconut milk in black tea

* Rice protein powder - I've also heard there's pea protein powder, which would have less sugar. That's what I'm buying next. Add to smoothies.

* Goat's milk cheese, if you're craving cheese - my naturopath said it's the best animal variety, and my husband found some support for that when he did Internet research (I don't like the texture - or the idea - of soy cheese). Will eat the almond cheese instead if it's any good.
There was a large variety of cheeses made from goat's milk available at my co-op - not just the kind of French cheese I used to think of as goat.

Not So Obscure Sources of Protein I'm Eating
* Nuts of course, including the 1 Brazil nut a day for selenium I mentioned in another post.

* Free-range organic eggs from the co-op

1 comment:

  1. love this post ... recently I read an article about how important it is to eat wild salmon as opposed to farmed but I understand the feeling you have I have been trying to stop eating fish for a while now! I will start eating 1 Brazil nut a day, good idea thanks! there is goat's, buffalo and sheep yoghurt which I find is nice too and easier to digest than cow's milk yoghurt.

    ReplyDelete