In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Sunday, December 11, 2011

How to Be Tired

Here's a subject I know something about ...
One of the qualities of Kadampa Buddhism, as anyone who's been to a General Program class knows, is that it's very practical. It's designed to be used in our life, no matter what's going on. For example, when I'm fatigued from chemo, I can still practice. When I'm fatigued, I notice my mind is much more vulnerable to negativity, so it helps to have a repertoire of easy, positive activities. Here are a few things I do, starting with the less obvious.

* Stare at the line drawings in Geshe-la's books - I learned about this very recently. Gen Khedrub told our class that he'd made himself a booklet of photocopies of all the drawings. CarolF, who's a longtime practitioner, also recommended this to me: She said there's something about the simplicity of black and white that works well when you're tired.

* Roll mantras for filling statues - it's a virtuous, low-impact activity. My mother-in-law, the nun Dachog, is in charge of statue filling at our Center, so that connection may have been what pulled me in. You can roll them to fill your own statues or give them to your Center if it fills statues.
I realize this wouldn't be a good activity if your hands were in pain from arthritis, say.
If you're not familiar with the process, Tharpa has a booklet that explains everything; the accompanying CD has all the mantras that you can print from your computer. I recommend a good papercutter; we use this one.
Tips: Remember to recite the special mantra when you've finished a roll, and don't forget the Correcting Mistakes mantra for the lotus.
I also do this when visiting family (Richard's family, that is - I wouldn't do this at my Dad's because it would seem strange). We like to sit around with each, but not always doing something together like playing a game or doing a puzzle. Sometimes it's nice to be in each other's company without feeling compelled to talk.

* Pujas - I'm greedy for blessings, but sometimes the only way I can make it is to lie down in the back. (I confirmed with my Teacher this was OK.) At our Center I'll put out 2 zabutons (the big cushions) and lie down  parallel to the shrine; I do try to sit up for the special parts, like tsog offering, mandala offering, tea offering and the long-life prayers.
Note: When Gen-la Dekyong was the RT in Seattle, she told us it was inauspicious to lean on the walls of the gompa.

Yoga of Napping - Sometimes it's wiser to give in to the need to rest, rather than fight it. Thankfully we have this Highest Yoga Tantra practice (if you've received Vajrayogini and Heruka empowerments).

Taking meditation - this is one of my favorites, so I'm able to do it when I'm tired. Pick your own favorite.

* Reciting mantras is also a favorite. There's even something comforting about just holding my mala.

* Rejoicing is easy and virtuous. Teachers explaining this practice often mention that you can do it lying down. It's as simply as being happy at anyone's good qualities or virtuous activities.

* Reading Dharma of course. When you're tired, it works better to just read a paragraph or even a sentence, over and over.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for this - it's good advice.
    I get MS fatigue, and yes, that makes the slippery slope down to delusion slippier still. The 'Yoga of Napping' (!) is inevitable, and leads to some brilliant dreams :)
    Did Dekyong say why it's 'inauspicious to lean on the walls of the gompa'? I couldn't get through the day's class else :s

    ReplyDelete