In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Saturday, August 6, 2016

Let It Snow...Again

Friends,

Just a brief update on Mimi. Not much change since last time I posted. Continuing with a lovely influx of friends and family, and Mimi continues to rest. Since I didn't have much to report here, I thought I'd quote a post that Mimi wrote about a month ago after she announced her terminal prognosis and before she introduced me as her Boswell. The post feels really relevant right now. The title is Let It Snow... and here it is in its entirety:

"Why is that out-of-season song in my head at the moment? I DO have a place to go - an important place - I just don't know yet where.

This former English major has also been thinking about those lines from T.S. Eliot's poem The Love Song of Alfred Proofrock, " ... and in short, I was afraid." But actually I'm not. ...
Maybe just too dumb for that : )
Something better than nothing? Or are you one of those "no news is good news" folks?
(Sorry.)

Maybe soon a more reasonable person will be posting updates here.


Mainly I wanted to thank you all for the outpouring of support and love, to which I cannot reply with what you deserve. This is the best I can do right now. Accept ... or unsubscribe : )"

With love,
Boswell (rebecca-dot-lafond-at-gmail.com)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, dear Boswell, for the update! I had a hearty laugh. I'll keep the prayers coming:)

    ReplyDelete