In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Monday, January 27, 2014

The Meaning of My Orange Rain Jacket

When my maroon rain jacket stopped shedding rain and started absorbing it instead, it was clear I needed a new one. Here in Seattle, I wear a jacket almost every day - for the wind if not the water. I decided I wanted a very visible color for safety. In the winter the sun goes down as early as 4:30 in the afternoon, so I often end up walking our dog in the dark. I want to be visible for her sake too.
Bicyclists and some runners are very good about lights and reflective vests; pedestrians not so much, particularly not the students at Ballard High, which I pass by every time I drive from my house to the Temple. They favor all black clothes, of course; much hipper than the geeky orange. They cross in the middle of the block, often without looking up from their smartphone. (There's a reason those devices aren't called wisdom-phones.) I want to yell wrathfully at them but instead make prayers that Dorje Shugden will protect them.

There was a jacket that was said to be the best at water-repellency, was reasonably priced, and came in bright orange. Then I realized that what I was thinking about was my precious human life. Also the wisdom of Manjushri and Je Tsongkhapa.

I've built a pretty solid habit where I say Dorje Shugden's mantra when I'm driving, that he will protect others, as one of my worst fears is hitting a pedestrian or another car. Help me out here, people. Thankfully I've seen on community boards around town that the city has a "Drive With Care and Walk Aware" campaign.

And I saw those posters yesterday when I was putting out publicity for the Center. Exiting a Starbucks as an older guy entered, he commented that he liked the orange and said - get this -  that it was a Buddhist color! We stepped inside and had a short conversation about Buddhism, with him talking about his Guru. True story.

1 comment:

  1. Nice Blog !!!!!... I like it. Really Great Information about orange reflective vests. Thanks for provide us this usefull informaion.


    ReplyDelete