In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Thursday, January 16, 2014

Prayers for My Uncle Bob, Who Died Yesterday

Dear friends,
Please make prayers for my Uncle Bob, Robert Sharp, who died yesterday at home at Lake Tahoe, and especially for my Aunt Ruth (my mother's only sibling), as well as their 3 children and 7 grandchildren. 
He loved Tahoe, where he lived for decades with his family in a beautiful house overlooking the lake. Wednesday afternoon he was taking a nap in his chair and never woke up again.
Uncle Bob had a good life. After engineering many of the roads in Nevada, he and his wife traveled the world and enjoyed the local area. He continued skiing there late in life, taking full advantage of the free senior lift pass.
It was a surprise, even though he was 91 and had Alzheimer's. His family thought his wife was physically in worse shape.
My cousin Gerry was trying to reach his sister Roberta, who is in Mexico and hadn't heard yesterday, but I trust is now on her way back to Nevada. Roberta has been so kind to them. She was driving up to their house - snowy mountain roads in the winter - engineered by their father, I think! - from Reno to the top of the mountain weekly, to bring mail and groceries ... even though her parents had 24 x 7 live-in help. (Gerry and his other sister, Janet, live on the East Coast, which makes it hard to get to Tahoe as often.) 
I am sad for them, but also feeling sad because it reminds me of my Mom (who died at 65).
Tomorrow is powa at our Center, so there will be prayers for him.
 
Thank you.
 
Love,
M.

No comments:

Post a Comment