In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Trial Update

Yesterday I got my 3rd treatment and it went well. The Principal Investigator of the study stopped by when I was getting my weekly chemo infusion that's part of the trial and told me that 2 of the 3 patients in the group that started a month before me, at half my dose of the new drug, had their tumor markers drop by half! In just 4 weeks!

But I am still under the care of my beloved oncologist. Treatments go pretty much as they always have.

I wish everyone who was sick had a doctor like my oncologist. He has decades of experience treating cancer and is one of the leading experts in Seattle. He treats everyone from VIPs to charity cases and gives every patient as much time as they need! When chemo nurses have cancer, they go to him, and I learned of him from Uma. Oh, and he does email, quickly answering the long lists of questions I send him when I am starting a new treatment. He is also happy answering them in person, but I like email for some things and check in with him to make sure I am not abusing the privilege. When test results come in late, he will call me on a Friday night because he knows I want to hear them as soon as possible. He is also a husband, father and grandfather, who his nurses tell me dotes on his granddaughter. He publishes research with an assistant. Also his beautiful photos are hung around the offices. I don't know how he does it, but in his 60s he is still a mountain climber! I think  he is an emanation.

I have to say, one difference with this trial is takes a lot of mindfulness and attention to detail. I am starting to get into the rhythm, but I had to make myself a detailed schedule and write myself notes so that I can keep track, because I take the experimental drug at home, twice a day for 3 days.

My main side effect so far has been fatigue. The first week I just felt lousy - I should have taken the optional drug my oncologist suggested, because it makes a huge difference for me, although it further complicates my drug schedule. When I take it, I don't even feel like I'm on chemo.

This coming week I am off treatment - and R and I are off to the Tranquil Abiding Retreat run by KMC San Francisco.

Thank you so much, as always, for your support.

Love,
M.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, and he does email, quickly answering the long lists of questions I send him when I am starting a new treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. May everything be perfect for you all the time, and you always feel bright inside.love ....maria.

    ReplyDelete