In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Dharma on the Couch or in Bed

One of the great things about Buddhist practice, is that you can do it anywhere, under any circumstances.
Here are a few initial thoughts about what I do when my mental and physical energy is so low I can only lie in bed, or with a bit more energy, rest on the couch.
I'd love to hear any suggestions you have.

* Carol F told me she sometimes looks at the line drawings in the books, because their simplicity is easier to take in - even easier than color prints. I'd love to hear more tips like this, because it never occurred to me.
* Rejoicing - we're taught this practice, which overcomes our jealousy, can even be done lying in bed.
* I used be be able to read a few pages of Dharma text, and often take notes; there days sometimes I can only read 1 paragraph at a time. When I close the book, I just repeat that 1 paragraph to myself for as long as I can. It may be a better way to study that my usual approach!
* Mantras - I love these "portable prayers" that we can say anywhere. I say a lot of mantras.
* Favorite practices - one of my go-to practices is Taking; I must have some kind of affinity with it. It comes easily to me, and I love the practice. I do it at home but also at the various medical facilities I find myself in - where there seems to be a lot of fear and pain, without refuge.

I can list more some other time, but those are some of the main ones now.

1 comment:

  1. When my kitty was ailing Gamo suggested that I put the Medicine Buddha prayers CD (or Amitayus or Tara...) on repeat any time I left the house.

    I found that when I came home it was so soothing that I'd just leave it playing all evening in the background.

    I love the mantras too.

    ReplyDelete