In Eight Steps to Happiness Geshe-la says "'Self' and 'other' are relative terms, rather like 'this mountain' and 'that mountain ... 'This' and 'that' therefore depend upon our point of reference. This is also true of self and other. By climbing down the mountain of self, it is possible to ascend the mountain of other, and thereby cherish others as much as we presently cherish ourself."

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Five Wishes

Speaking of dying ...
This is one of the best resources I've seen for considering and planning your death. Even though I have some legal documents, I haven't written down all my wishes.

Here's a 12-page sample of their doc
http://www.agingwithdignity.org/catalog/nonprintpdf/Five_Wishes_Final.pdf
from their website, http://www.agingwithdignity.org/five-wishes.php

As Kadampa Buddhists we mediate, "I may die today," but how many of us believe it?
I have to remind myself I'm not necessarily going to die of cancer - there are so many ways my bubble-like body can be pierced. For me, reading and thinking about the specifics of my death helps make it more real.

No comments:

Post a Comment